A chemical spill in a school science class puts a scare into a local community. YNN's Christian Farrell has more.
WAPPINGERS FALLS, N.Y. -- "I'm feeling good now. Better than I was," said Van Wyck Junior High School 8th Grader Marissa Velie.
14-year-old Velie luckily escapes serious injury when she comes in direct contact with sulfuric acid in her 8th grade science class.
"I got it on my arm here. I wiped it off thinking it was just water," said Velie.
Marissa would soon learn that what she was doused with was not water but rather a very dangerous chemical. The incident sends Dutchess County emergency personnel rushing to the Wappingers Falls schools.
"I did have a report that there were a few that the material did come in contact with their eyes. Again, we did flush them very quickly, and we don't anticipate any serious injuries based on that," said Eat Fishkill Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Geysen.
"The school made the right call in moving the kids and clearing the classroom," said Wapingers Falls Central School District Interim Superintendent Marco Pochintesta.
While fire and school officials deemed the chemical spill an accident, according to Marissa what happened was no accident.
"From behind me someone threw a bottle of sulfuric acid across the classroom spilling it across everyone," said Velie.
After being treated at the scene by emergency personnel, victims were taken to Saint Francis Hospital in Poughkeepsie for additional precautionary measures.
Hospital officials said a total of 19 students and two faculty members arrived wearing white protective jump suits.
"None of the children or adults have been admitted. They were brought here to be evaluated," said hospital spokesperson Larry Hughes.
Anxious parents begin showing up at the hospital several hours later, fortunately for the most part finding their children unharmed.
"She's okay. She's got a little bit of a spill on her back and arms. But she's going to be okay," said parent Laufey Bremer of her daughter Morgan.