CROPSEYVILLE, N.Y. -- A brush fire on Jay Hakes Road kept firefighters in Rensselaer County busy Saturday afternoon.
Several fire departments responded to the scene. Firefighters said it was started when someone cleaning their wood stove out left the hot embers in the grass. The wind then blew them around, sparking the fire. An area of about two acres burned, but firefighters said no buildings were ever in danger.
“The houses and the other structures, they were pretty much away from where the fire was. It jumped the road, down the road here, jumped over to the other side. But other than that, we had enough firemen and enough other companies to come,” said Jim Goyer, Grafton Fire Chief.
Due to dry weather recently, a red flag warning is in effect; warning firefighters and others that conditions are ideal for wildfires to spread.