Thursday, April 24, 2014

Alert

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Capital Region

Boy in critical condition after Pittsfield fire

  • Text size: + -
Albany/HV: Boy in critical condition after Pittsfield fire
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

The Pittsfield Fire Department released new details on a fire that broke out Wednesday night. One boy is in critical condition, but the fire chief says things could have been a lot worse. YNN's Madeleine Rivera has the story.

PITTSFIELD, Mass. -- It was through a bout of luck that the three people who lived at 47 Merriam Street got out alive, although one is in critical condition. All three were sleeping when suddenly…

"The father was alerted by screams from out in the driveway. He opened up his window and people were yelling at him that his house was on fire," said Pittsfield Fire Chief Robert Czerwinski.

The father jumped from the second floor of the house and landed in the driveway. He was not hurt. A 23-year-old family friend woke up, navigated his way through the flames and gas, made his way down the front stairs and out the front door. Only then did they realize that the nine-year-old son was still upstairs.

"I saw him run across to this door, bang, run across to this door, bang," said neighbor Melissa Cooke who saw the father trying to frantically save his son.

"My landlord tried going over there with a big ladder so he could get in and get the kid," said Cooke.

Firefighters arrived a short time later. They found the boy in an upstairs bedroom.

"Due to high levels of CO poisoning, he was transferred over to Mass General Hospital," said Czerwinski.

The fire chief says the fire started in the northern side of the house where the kitchen is located. He says the father was cooking when he fell asleep. And here was another dangerous setting…

"There were four detectors in the house. It turns out three didn't have batteries," said Czerwinski.

It's something he says we have to look out for, especially this holiday season.

"Check your CO alarms, check your smoke alarms, please don't be a victim this joyous time of the year," said Czerwinski.

No identities have yet been released. The boy remains in critical condition in Mass General.

10.11.12.241 ClientIP: 54.242.200.172, 184.84.183.172 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP