Sunday, December 21, 2014

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 


Capital Region

City officials investigating cause of massive Schenectady fire

  • Text size: + -
Albany/HV: City officials investigating cause of massive Schenectady fire
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

As the investigation into this week's fire at 33 Moyston Street in Schenectady continues, officials there say it appears the fire might be suspicious. Time Warner Cable News Reporter Madeleine Rivera joins us with more on what they're saying about what may have led up to the Christmas Eve fire.

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. -- Days after a massive Christmas Eve fire, city officials are taking a closer look at the activities moments before the first flames.

Time Warner Cable News asked Schenectady Mayor Gary McCarthy if the fire is suspicious. McCarthy said it's a "preliminary indication."

The houses were demolished Thursday. But, firefighters are still busy trying to piece together a timeline of what happened. They've got some concerns.

"We don't generally see a fire at that intensity because we arrived very quickly. Why was the fire so intense at that point?" said Chief Michael Della Rocco.

Della Rocco says the cause is still undetermined. He's also not sure how long the fire was burning before firefighters arrived.

"We're going back and listening to dispatch information, when the calls came in," he said.

The Schenectady Police Department says they received a call about a fistfight on Moyston Street at the time of the fire. They would not confirm if the fight is related to the fire.

"I saw a bunch of cops," said Neighbor, Julian Serrano. He watched a flurry of activity the night of the fire.

"Cops were carrying the guy out in the corner. I was hearing about two guys fighting in front of the house," he said.

Police say one man was sent to Ellis Hospital for injuries he sustained from the fight. He has since been released. Another man was sent to the Westchester burn center. It's unclear what his condition is at this time.

"I just know it was a crazy Christmas Eve," said Serrano. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP