This section displays the latest news articles that were published.
A Route 32 business escapes severe damage Wednesday morning thanks to local fire crews as our Alexandra Weishaupt tells us not only did their quick actions prevent major damage to the building, but saved 25 jobs in the process.
TILLSON, N.Y. -- Michael Babcock looked out at the smoldering rubble and assessed the damage.
There was a $100,000 worth of lumber in the back that got burnt up, some equipment, but the main building and all the equipment inside, there's some damage to it,” said WineRacks.com President Michael Babcock. “It could have been a lot worse.”
Fire sparked behind the WineRacks.com manufacturing business in Tillson Wednesday morning.
“We manufacture wine storage equipment, store fixtures, wine cellars for people literally around the world,” he said.
Firefighters said the fire may have started in a pile of sawdust behind the building, and according to Asst. Fire Chief Ryan Benincasa, the flames spread to a nearby storage trailer on the property as well as the exterior of the building’s overhang.
“The inside of the building it did not extend into. There’s some water damage from a hose lines, but as far as the fire goes it didn’t damage the main building,” said Benincasa.
Babcock said he’s grateful for the hard work of local crews enduring frigid temps and going great lengths to save his business.
“We’re lucky that the building is still here. it's due to the local police dept. saw it first thing, got it called in, the fire dept. responded within minutes, so we're very fortunate to have a good emergency services group here in Ulster County,” said Babcock.
Babcock said he hopes to have the business up and running in a few days.