Aubrey Ciraolo was a 2005 graduate of Skaneateles High School, where she was a star basketball player. This year, she was studying to become a chef at Cayuga Community College. Those who knew the 18-year-old say she was a girl with a lot of potential.
Her high school basketball coach, Bob Braunitzer, said, "She had all this potential locked up in her. And I knew that someday, those keys would somehow there would be keys that would unlock that special part of her personality."
But that day will never come. Ciraolo and her friend, 17-year-old Abigail Henderson, were at Lourdes Camp in Skaneateles Wednesday when they came across a fire. In an effort to put it out, Ciraolo picked up a live wire and was electrocuted. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Braunitzer said, "I didn't know what to say or what to even do. I just sort of stood there stunned, thinking about all that could've been for her."
Ciraolo's mother is a special education teacher in the Skaneateles School District and her father taught there before he retired. Superintendent Philip D'Angelo says he met with faculty Thursday morning and they are prepared to help the family through this difficult time.
He said, "The family is going to get the support they need from everybody who was at that meeting. And it's painful to see everybody hurting but it's encouraging and heartfelt to know they care that much."
State Police found alcohol in the car, but are still investigating whether it was a factor in the electrocution.
Abigail Henderson's mother told us she believes her daughter was clear-headed at the time of the incident.
In a statement she said "We're very proud of Abbie's reaction to the situation. We believe she acted rationally and with urgency. She did everything she could to help Aubrey. She was obviously quite sober. Abbie was very-clear headed when she reacted and performed CPR and got help right away."
The funeral service for Ciraolo is Monday morning in Skaneatles at St. Mary's of the Lake. All Skaneateles schools will be closed.